If you’re crafting an invitation for a kid’s birthday party or want to infuse a playful flair into your project, you may wonder how to make bubble letters in Google Docs. Bubble letters are a specific font style characterized by their bubble-like style, as the name implies.
The easiest way to add bubble letters in Google Docs is to type directly on the page using bubble fonts like “Rubik Bubbles.”
However, you may want to explore other methods because there isn’t an extensive range of bubble fonts in Google Docs. So we’ll be breaking them down below.
Table of Contents
What Are Bubble Letters, and Why Use Them?
Bubble letters are fonts that look inflated — sort of like balloons or, as the name suggests, bubbles. What sets them apart is their rounded edges, in contrast to the straight edges often found in fonts like Arial and Times New Roman.
While you obviously wouldn’t use them for professional projects like work reports, they are suitable for more “fun” projects like children’s book covers, birthday cards, and kids’ arts and crafts activities. They add a childlike charm to your work, making it more appealing to the reader.
How To Get Bubble Letters in Google Docs
There are five different ways to get bubble letters in Google Docs: Using fonts, add-ons, Word Art, Canva, and font previews. Let’s take a look at them one by one and see which method works best for you.
How To Add Bubble Letters in Google Docs with Fonts
This is the most straightforward way to write with bubble letters. All you need to do is type normally using a bubble font on Google Docs. To get started, follow the steps below:
- Open your Google Docs document.
- Click “Font” on the toolbar to open a drop-down menu of downloaded fonts.
- Note that you may not immediately find the bubble letters font in Google Docs. To add it manually, click on “More Fonts.”
- Once you’ve opened the “Fonts” menu, search for “bubble” in the box. From the search results, click on your choice of bubble letters font in Google Docs, like “Rubik Bubbles” or “Bubblegum Sans.” Clicking it will add it to your list of fonts.
- Once done, click “OK.” You’ll be taken back to your Google Docs page.
- Place your cursor where you want to use bubble letters in Google Docs.
- Go to “Font” on the toolbar and choose the bubble font you just added.
- Type your text. It will be in the bubble font you added to your font list.
- Resize your text by highlighting it with your cursor and clicking the “Font Size” option on the toolbar. Since bubble letters are a popular choice for titles and covers, you may want to increase the font size to 30 or more.
- Alternatively, if you want to use your bubble letters as a heading, go to “Styles” on the toolbar and choose any of the headings (e.g., Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.).
- Alternatively, you can go to “Format” and “Text” to access Google Docs’ full range of formatting tools, such as strikethrough, size, and capitalization.
How To Make Bubble Letters in Google Docs Using Add-Ons
While Google Docs have fonts that could pass as bubble letters, its options are still limited. Currently, Google Docs does not let users install fonts from external sites, but there is one workaround.
You can add fonts to Google Docs through add-ons — these are third-party extensions that allow you to do more with Google tools. Here’s a breakdown of how to use this feature to make bubble letters in Google Docs:
- Open your document on Google Docs.
- Go to the “Extensions” tab. Then, select “Add-ons” and “Get Add-ons” from the menu that appears.
- You’ll be directed to the “Google Workspace Marketplace.” In the search box, type “font” to view all font-related extensions. We like to use the “Extensis Fonts” add-on but feel free to choose whichever add-on you prefer.
- Hit “Install” to add the extension to Google Docs. Then, click “Continue” on the pop-up.
- When Google asks you to log in, choose your Google account and then click “Allow.”
- You’ll see a pop-up confirming that the add-on has been installed. Click “Next” and then “Done.”
- Go back to the menu bar and click “Extensions.” The “Extensis Fonts” add-on should now be under the drop-down menu.
- When you click “Start” to activate the add-on, you’ll see a sidebar with the add-on’s available fonts.
- On the document, type the text you want to be in bubble letters. Then, highlight it and choose the appropriate font size from the “Font Size” option on the toolbar.
- With the text still highlighted, go to the add-on’s sidebar. Then, choose any bubble letter font in Google Docs. For this example, we’ll be using the font “Modak.” Click on the font to apply it to the highlighted text.
Since bubble letters aren’t commonly used, your add-on’s font selection may be limited. In that case, you may want to explore other font extensions until you find one that offers the font you’re looking for.
How To Make Bubble Letters in Google Docs Using Word Art
Another way to add bubble letters in Google Docs is using the Word Art tool. We like this method because it offers more customization in terms of fill color, border color, and border lines.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to do bubble letters in Google Docs using the draw tool:
- Open Google Docs to create a new document or edit an existing document.
- Select the “Insert” button on the menu bar.
- Click “Drawing” from the dropdown menu, and then choose “New” to launch the “Drawing” tool.
- Once you’ve opened the “Drawing” tool, select “Actions” to reveal a drop-down menu. Next, click “Word Art.”
- A box will pop up — this is where you’ll type your text. Write what you want, then press the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Alternatively, if you want to add two or more lines of text, press “Shift” + “Enter” once you reach the end of each line. Then, hit “Enter” once done.
- By default, your text will be in the font “Arial.” To change its font into a bubble font in Google Docs, choose “Font” on the toolbar. This will open a dropdown of all installed fonts. Choose your preferred font to apply it to your text.
- Alternatively, if you haven’t added any bubble fonts to your font list or don’t like the fonts from the drop-down, click “More Fonts.”
- Once the “Fonts” menu opens, type “bubble” in the search box or any similar search term.
- Click on your preferred font to add it to your list of fonts. We’ll use the font “Rubik Bubbles” for this example. A check mark will appear to the left of the font, indicating that you’ve added the font to Google Docs.
- Click “OK.”
- Once you’re back in the “Drawing” tool, click on the Word Art you want to be in bubble letters.
- Click on the “Font” button on the toolbar. The “Rubik Bubbles” font (or whichever font you added) will now be there.
- Click on your chosen font to get bubble letters in Google Docs.
- Feel free to tweak your text’s fill color, border color, border dash, and more. All of these customizations can be done from the toolbar.
- To resize your text, click on any corner and drag it inward or outward. Press the “Shift” key on your keyboard to maintain your text’s proportions while resizing.
- Once done, select “Save and Close.”
- Once it’s on the page, you can change its position using Google Docs’ standard formatting options. It’s a good idea to enable “Text Wrapping” so you can freely move your bubble Word Art around.
- If you want to edit your bubble letter text, double-click your text to return to the “Word Art” tool.
How To Get Bubble Letters in Google Docs Using Canva
If Google Docs’ bubble fonts aren’t “bubbly” enough for you, or if you can’t find an add-on that meets your requirements, why not use a graphic design tool such as Canva?
It is user-friendly and offers more customization — think of it as a better alternative to Google Docs’ Word Art tool. Here’s how to get bubble letters in Google Docs using Canva:
- Go to Canva.com and either log in or create an account.
- You’ll be taken to the homepage to begin working on a new project. Click “Custom Size” to create a blank canvas for your bubble letters.
- Set your desired dimensions, such as 800 x 300 px. Note that this is just an example — feel free to change your project’s dimensions as needed.
- Click “Create New Design.”
- Once in the Canva Editor, go to the sidebar and click “Text.” You can choose from the premade designs or create one from scratch.
- If you want to edit a premade design, choose one you like and click to apply.
- Click the text to edit its contents. You can change its color, size, and italicization from the toolbar above.
- If you want to create bubble text from scratch, select “Text” in the sidebar. Next, click “Add a Text Box.” This will automatically generate the text “Your paragraph text” on your canvas.
- With the text selected, pick a bubble font from the drop-down on the toolbar. A good example is the font “Wedges.” Click on your chosen font to apply it to the text.
- Click your text once to edit its contents. Then, use the customization tools on the toolbar to change the font size and color. In the example below, we resized the text, made it blue, and used the “Splice” effect to add a border.
- Once you’re done editing, click “Share” in the upper right corner. Then, from the dropdown, click “Download.”
- Select a file type, such as PNG or JPG, and click the purple “Download” button.
- If you have Canva Pro, tick “Transparent Background” to remove the white background from your bubble letters.
- Open your Google Docs document once your image is saved on your computer.
- Go to “Insert” on the menu bar. From there, choose “Image” and “Upload From Computer.”
- Look for the image of bubble letters that you downloaded from Canva. It will be saved in your computer’s downloads folder by default.
- Once you’ve found it, choose “Open.” Your bubble letters image will now be on your document.
- You can change its position on the page using the options that appear below your bubble letters in Google Docs.
While it may be time-consuming, this method gives you more creative freedom. You can add different effects to your text, such as blur, drop shadows, and “glitches” — something Google Docs doesn’t let you do yet.
Note: If you want to edit your text, you can only do it on Canva. In addition, you’ll have to re-download and re-upload the image to Google Docs.
How To Add Bubble Letters in Google Docs Using Font Previews
Here’s a clever trick: While you can’t download a font outside of Google Docs, you can save an image of that font from the site itself! Here’s how to make bubble letters in Google Docs using font previews from websites:
- Open a font site such as FontSpace.
- Click on the font you’d like to use for your bubble letters in Google Docs. For this example, we use the font “Balonku” by azkarizi.
- You’ll be redirected to a page where you can preview the font. Write your text in the box.
- Customize its size and color.
- Right-click the preview with your mouse and select “Save Image As.” Save it anywhere on your PC, preferably somewhere you can easily find it.
- Open your document on Google Docs.
- Go to “Insert” on the menu bar. Then, choose “Image” and “Upload From Computer.”
- Select the file of the image you saved to insert it into Google Docs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There a Bubble Font in Google Docs?
By default, Google Docs does not have a bubble font in its fonts list. However, you can add the “hidden” bubble font by going to the “More Fonts” option.
This can be found under the “Font” dropdown on the toolbar. Once you’ve opened the “Fonts” menu, search for a bubble font such as “Rubik Bubbles” in the box and select “OK.” You can now use your chosen font whenever you want to.
How Do I Make Bubble Letters in Different Colors?
If you want your bubble letters in different colors (shown below), the only way to do this directly on Google Docs is through the first method we mentioned: With fonts.
First, type your text onto the page using bubble letters, highlight the letters individually, and then change their colors using the “Text Color” function on the toolbar. Once you’re done, it will look similar to this:
Bubble letters are perfect for fun projects, allowing your words to stand out boldly. Try the various methods we outlined to get the look you’re going for. You can create projects that will wow everyone by mastering how to make bubble letters in Google Docs.
For ready-to-use resources, check out our premium templates today. Also, don’t forget to use the code SSP for 50% off!