Google Docs is a powerful word-processing tool that allows you to create and edit text documents online. With its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use tools, Google Docs makes it simple to create professional-looking documents.
One feature that can enhance the overall appearance of your document is the ability to add borders. Whether you’re creating a school report, a business proposal, or a personal letter, adding a border can improve the appearance of your document, making it look more polished and professional.
Continue reading to learn how to add a border in Google Docs.
Table of Contents
What Are Borders in Google Docs?
Borders in Google Docs are a visual design element that defines a document’s space and structure. Just as walls, fences, and hedges provide a physical boundary to a property or garden, borders in Google Docs provide a visual boundary to your content. They are an easy way to add interest and emphasis to your documents while guiding the reader’s eye and drawing attention to specific information.
Borders come in different styles, colors, and thicknesses. You can use them to create a professional-looking document that is easy to read and understand. Additionally, borders can be added to individual paragraphs, tables, images, or entire pages.
Why Use Borders in Google Docs?
Borders serve many purposes in a document. They create visual interest, separate document sections, and focus on specific information.
For example, use a border around a table to highlight important data or a border around a paragraph to make it stand out from the rest of the text.
Another advantage of using borders in Google Docs is that they help to create a consistent look and feel for your document. Using the same border style throughout your document creates a cohesive design that is easy on the eye while making your content look more professional.
Using borders in Google Docs can save time and effort compared to creating a document from scratch. Instead of manually formatting each element, you can quickly and easily add borders to your document to give it the structure and style you want.
How To Add a Border in Google Docs With a Table
By adding a border to a table, you can separate and organize different pieces of information clearly and concisely, making it easier for your reader to understand and process the data.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select the table to which you want to add a border by clicking on it.
- Go to the “Table” menu and select “Table properties.”
- Click on the “Color” tab.
- Customize the tab by changing the tab color, width, and the cell’s background color.
Another way to customize a table is to insert a diagonal line in Google Sheets.
How To Add a Border Using “Drawing”
The “Drawing” feature allows you to create custom borders by drawing shapes around the text or table where you want a border.
To add a border using this feature, simply follow the steps below:
- Go to the “Insert” menu and select “Drawing.”
- In the drawing window, select the “Rectangle” shape.
- Draw a rectangle around the content you want to border.
- Once you select the rectangle shape, go to the “Format” menu and select “Line color.”
- Choose the color, thickness, and border style.
- Once satisfied with the border, close the drawing window by clicking “Save and Close.”
How To Add a Border Using an Image
If you’re working on a business document or presentation, adding a border using your company’s logo or other branded image can reinforce your brand and make your document look more professional.
Here’s what you can do:
- Go to the “Insert” menu and select “Image.”
- Choose the image of the border you want to use. You can find border images online or create your own using photo-editing software.
- Insert the border image into your document.
- Resize the border image to fit the content you want to surround. You can do this by clicking and dragging the corners of the image.
- Use the “Wrap text” option to control text placement around the border image.
- Repeat the process for any sections of your document that you want to border with an image.
How To Add Borders Around a Paragraph
By adding a border around a paragraph, you can emphasize the importance of the text and draw attention to it. This is especially useful if you highlight your document’s key message or essential information.
Simply follow the steps below:
- Select the text you want to border.
- Go to the “Format” menu and select “Paragraph styles.”
- In the “Paragraph styles” drop-down menu, choose “Borders and shading.”
- In the “Borders and shading” box, select the border type you want to add to your paragraph. Then choose from the different styles, colors, and thicknesses.
- Click “Apply” to add the border to your paragraph.
How To Add a Border Around an Image
Adding a border around an image can help separate it from other elements in your document, making it easier for your audience to understand the context and relationship between the image and the surrounding text.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the “Format” menu and select “Border.”
- In the “Border” drop-down menu, choose the type of border you want to add to your image.
- Use the “Border” menu options to adjust the border’s color, thickness, and style.
- Click “Apply” to add the border to your image.
How To Add a Border in Google Docs Using a Table
By adding a border around the table, you can make it stand out and draw attention to it, especially if you want to highlight a particular data set or make it the focal point of your document.
To add a border in Google Docs using a table, follow these steps:
- Select the table to which you want to add a border.
- Go to the “Format” menu and select “Table properties.”
- In the “Table properties” box, select the “Borders and Shading” tab.
- Use the “Borders and Shading” options to customize the border. You can choose the color, thickness, and border style. You can also add a border around the table or specific cells.
- Click “Apply” to add the border to your table.
Sometimes, you may need to insert a Google Sheet into Google Docs.
Insert Borders Using Watermarks
Inserting borders using watermarks in Google Docs can serve several purposes, including adding branding and protecting images or graphic files from being stolen or used without the user’s permission.
If you want to insert borders using watermarks, here’s how to do it:
- Go to the “Insert” menu and select “Watermark.”
- Select the type of watermark in the “Watermark” box. You can choose from predesigned watermarks or create your own by inserting an image or a text box.
- Use the options in the “Watermark” box to customize the watermark. You can adjust the opacity, size, and placement of the watermark.
- Click “Done” to insert the watermark into your document.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Create Custom Borders in Google Docs?
Yes. You can create customized borders in Google Docs using the “Drawing” tool. This tool allows you to create a custom border by drawing lines, shapes, and curves. It also allows you to create a border that fits your needs while complementing your document.
Will My Custom Border be Automatically Added to All Pages in My Document?
Unfortunately, no. When you add a border to a section of text or an image in Google Docs, it will only appear on that specific page. If you want your custom border to appear on multiple pages, you must add it to each section or page individually.
Adding a border in Google Docs is a simple and straightforward process. Whether you want to add a border to a single paragraph, multiple paragraphs, or an entire page, you can do so with just a few clicks. You can choose from various border styles, such as solid, dotted, or dashed, and customize the color and thickness of the border to suit your needs.
With its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use tools, Google Docs makes it simple to enhance the appearance of your documents while adding a professional touch to your work.
Now you know how to add a border in Google Docs using various methods, check out these G Suite courses to expand your skills and knowledge in Google Docs.
- How to Make Google Docs Dark Mode [Easy Guide]
- How to Alphabetize in Google Docs (2 Straightforward Ways)
- How to Draw on Google Docs (2 Unbelievably Simple Ways)
- How to Make a Resume on Google Docs
- How to Make a Brochure on Google Docs (Easy Templates)
- How to Create a Folder in Google Docs
- How to Delete a Page in Google Docs (4 Ways)