We all know how wonderful Google Docs is in creating documents and allowing collaboration with others. However, one of the users’ biggest complaints about Google Docs is the lack of a built-in dark mode.
Fortunately, you can add Dark Mode to Google Docs using an extension like “Dark Reader.” Simply search the Chrome Web Store for “Dark Reader.” Then, install the extension and open Google Docs. The background color will change to dark gray, and you can adjust the settings to your preferences.
You can use several other solutions to enable Dark Mode in Google Docs. Read on to learn how to do it across different devices and browsers.
What Is Dark Mode and Why Use It?
The dark mode feature in modern computing and smartphone technology allows users to switch the color scheme of their display from a light background to a dark one.
It has become increasingly popular in recent years, not just for its aesthetics but also because it is easier on the eyes. Many people use dark mode to reduce eye strain and improve their ability to focus for extended periods.
Below are some benefits of using dark mode, especially at night:
Blue light from the screen can disrupt your body’s natural sleep cycle by suppressing melatonin production. By using dark mode, you can reduce your exposure to blue light and improve your sleep quality.
Longer battery life
Dark mode can extend your device’s battery life, especially if you use a smartphone or tablet. By reducing the amount of light emitted from your screen, your device will use less power, and you’ll be able to use it for extended periods.
Reduced screen glare
If you’re using your device in bright or sunny conditions, dark mode reduces screen glare and makes reading text on your screen easier.
Dark mode also has a cool and sophisticated aesthetic that many users find appealing. It can make your screen look sleeker and is a great way to customize your browsing experience.
How To Make Google Docs Dark Mode on a PC
The first step to setting up dark mode for Google Docs is understanding that it doesn’t come standard with the program. But don’t let that stop you because several third-party solutions allow you to enjoy this feature in your Google Docs!
Popular Third-Party Solutions for Google Docs Dark Mode
To enable dark mode in Google Docs using third-party extensions, here are a few options:
1. Google Docs Dark Mode
You can install this user-style sheet on your browser using an extension. It applies a dark theme to your Google Docs pages and has different color options.
2. Midnight Lizard
This is another browser extension that supports multiple platforms, including Google Docs. Additionally, it provides a customizable dark mode experience that can be adapted to your preferences. It’s available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera browsers.
Stylish is a browser extension that allows you to customize the look and feel of websites using custom styles. It has many user-created styles for Google Docs, including dark mode styles.
4. Google Docs Night Mode
This Google Chrome extension adds a night mode to Google Docs. It features a simple on/off switch and requires no complicated setup.
5. Night Eye
Night Eye is a browser extension that provides a dark mode for many websites, including Google Docs. It’s also available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, and Opera browsers.
Note that these solutions may not be officially endorsed by Google and can pose security risks. So use them at your own risk and take the necessary precautions to protect your data.
How To Install Third-Party Dark Mode Extensions
To install dark mode extensions or any other third-party programs, simply follow these steps:
- Type “Google Chrome Web Store” in your browser and click the top result.
- Search for the extension you want to install. In this example, we’re using “Google Docs Dark Mode.”
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button to install the add-on.
- Click “Add extension” and wait for the installation process to complete.
- Open a new tab in your browser and navigate to Google Docs.
- On the right-hand side of the screen, click on the moon and the Google Docs icon to activate the dark mode.
7. It should look like this:
8. To disable it, click the sun and Google Docs icons.
How To Make Google Docs Dark Mode on Android
The process of activating Google Docs dark mode on your smartphone may differ depending on your device and the web browser. Here are the steps for enabling dark mode in Google Docs on Android smartphones:
- Open the Google Docs app on your Android device.
- Tap “Edit” (pencil icon) and tap anywhere in the document’s body.
- Upon tapping, your keyboard will appear. Tap the three-dot icon in the toolbar. Then, click “Settings.”
- Tap “Theme.”
- Select the “Default Dark” option, then tap “Apply.”
How To Enable Dark Mode in Google Docs on Microsoft Edge
Enabling dark mode in Google Docs on Microsoft Edge is a simple process that involves changing your browser’s settings. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open Microsoft Edge and head over to the Google Docs website.
- Click on the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the browser window.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Appearance.”
- Select the “Dark theme” from the available options to enable dark mode for the Google Docs website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Make Google Docs Go To Dark mode in Safari?
Google Docs does not have a built-in dark mode feature. However, you can use the dark mode feature on your browser to change the page’s color scheme. To enable dark mode on a Mac using the Safari browser, follow these steps:
- Open Safari and go to the Google Docs website.
- Tap the “AA” icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Next, tap “Website Appearance.”
- Select “Dark” to enable dark mode for the Google Docs website.
How Do I Make Google Docs Enter Dark Mode on a Chromebook?
As mentioned, Google Docs does not have a built-in dark mode feature, but you can use a browser extension to enable dark mode in Chrome on your Chromebook. Here are the steps:
- Open Google Chrome on your Chromebook.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for a dark mode extension for Google Docs. Use keywords like “Dark Mode for Google Docs” to find suitable extensions.
- Select an extension you want to use and click the “Add to Chrome” button to install it.
- Once the extension is installed, open Google Docs in a new tab.
- The extension should automatically detect that you’re using Google Docs and enable dark mode.
Enabling dark mode in Google Docs can reduce eye strain and improve readability, especially in low-light conditions. By following the steps outlined in the guides above, you can easily switch to dark mode and start using Google Docs in a more comfortable way for your eyes.
If you want to master the various features and functions of Google Docs, watch these G Suite courses.
Need spreadsheet templates for a project? Check out our awesome templates here! Use the promo code SSP to save 50% off all templates.
- How to Turn on Google Sheets Dark Mode [3 Easy Steps]
- How to Search for a Word in Google Docs [Quick Guide]
- How to Add a Border in Google Docs (All 7 Ways)
- How to Alphabetize in Google Docs (2 Straightforward Ways)
- How to Draw on Google Docs (2 Unbelievably Simple Ways)
- How to Make a Resume on Google Docs
- How to Create a Folder in Google Docs