If you’re dealing with complex math equations, you’ll likely use matrices in your solution. This way, you can present complicated data sets more intelligibly. But how do you make a matrix in Google Docs?
There are multiple ways to insert a matrix in Google Docs. Follow along as we discuss three super easy variations!
Table of Contents
How To Make a Matrix in Google Docs Using a Table
Step 1: Setting Up Your Table
- Open Google Docs and access your document.
- Click “Insert” > “Table.”
- Choose a table size of 5 x 1 (or adjust it to your desired dimensions).
- Enter the contents of your matrix from the second column to the fourth column (as shown in the example below).
- To separate your matrix entries per row, press the “Enter” (or Return) key on your keyboard after each.
Step 2: Adjusting the Column Width
- Highlight the cells in your table by selecting them.
- Click on the vertical three-dot icon (⋮) and choose “Table options.”
- Find the Column drop-down menu.
- Check the box next to “Column width” to enable the option.
- To achieve the desired appearance, set the column width to 0.3 (or a larger value if necessary).
- Once you’ve adjusted the column width as needed, close the “Table properties” side panel.
Step 3: Configuring the Table Borders
- Select the second to fourth columns of your table.
- Click the vertical three-dot icon (⋮) and select “Border width.”
- Choose “0 pt” to remove the borders from the selected columns.
Related: How To Draw on Google Docs
How To Insert a Matrix in Google Docs with Equations
Another workaround you can try is to use the equations feature in Google Docs. The idea is to use subscripts and superscripts (like those you see when you add exponents) to create the matrix structure.
- Click “Insert” > “Equation.”
- Click on the drop-down menu labeled “Math operations” and choose a pair of brackets to create the matrix enclosure.
- Inside the brackets, add a variable with superscript and subscript fields. Locate this option as the fourth one in the first row of the equation toolbar.
- Press the right arrow key on your keyboard once to access the subscript field.
- Type the value that you want to insert.
- Press the right arrow key once again, then enter the value for the superscript.
- Repeat the process from steps 3 to 6 to create as many entries as you want.
- After completing the matrix, add 2-3 spaces inside the bracket to balance its appearance.
- Highlight the equation and use the plus and minus buttons in the equation toolbar to adjust its size.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should I Copy the Components of a Matrix?
To copy your matrix row by row, then paste it into another file, follow these steps:
- Highlight the top row of your matrix by clicking and dragging your cursor across the cells.
- Press Ctrl + C (Windows) or Command + C (Mac) to copy the selected row.
- Go to the other file where you want to paste the matrix.
- Position your cursor at the desired location and press Ctrl + V (Windows) or Command + V (Mac) to paste the copied row.
- Insert a new line by pressing the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.
- Repeat the process by highlighting the next row of your matrix, copying it with Ctrl + C (or Command + C), and pasting it with Ctrl + V (or Command + V) on the new line.
Continue this process until you have copied and pasted all the rows of your matrix into the desired file.
How Do You Make a 3×3 Matrix in Google Docs?
To insert a matrix using the “Hypatia Create” add-on, follow these steps:
- Install the “Hypatia Create” add-on from the Google Workspace Marketplace.
- Once installed, open your Google Docs document and choose “Extensions” > “Hypatia Create” > “Insert/Edit Math.”
- In the math editor, type “bmatrix” and press “Enter” (or Return) on your keyboard.
- Specify the number of rows and columns you want to add to your matrix, then click Insert.
- Add the values to your matrix in the provided fields.
- Click the Insert button in the lower-right corner of the panel to finish.
Can I Make a Matrix in Google Docs?
Yes. There are three ways to make a matrix in Google Docs: Inserting a table, using an equation, and creating one with an external add-on.
Knowing how to make a matrix in Google Docs is beneficial whenever you’re dealing with math equations and need to present data in an organized manner. If you ever need to make one, one of the aforementioned methods makes that easy.
Check out our premium templates. When you use the code “SSP,” you’ll get all of them at 50% off!