One of the best things about using word processors like Google Docs is that they you can use templates to easily create documents you may have otherwise had some trouble with. One of the prime examples of this is for creating resumes. In short, you simply have to open the Google Docs template library and pick a resume outline to work with. If you need more detail about how to make a resume on Google Docs, then read on to learn more.
Ensure You Get Your Next Job
The Google Suite is an essential part of many workplaces. If you’ve landed here to make your resume, you may want to consider taking a comprehensive G Suite course on Udemy so you can add proficiency in this area to the skills section of your CV.
Things You Should Include in a Resume
A resume or a CV is a formal document containing all the professional details used when applying for jobs. The details include your qualifications, skills, work experience, notable accomplishments, and education. A cover letter is usually paired with a resume, which helps you illustrate your skills and abilities to your employers and convince them that you are hireable and qualified for the job.
Before you apply for almost any job, it is necessary to have a resume. The resume should be submitted to the employer so they can determine if you can be taken under consideration for the specific job.
Depending on the job you are applying for, you must add all your relevant professional details to your resume. A resume must have these five things:
- Contact Information: You should add your first and last name, email address, and phone number. If you have one, you can also add your LinkedIn account. Even though it is unnecessary to add your mailing address, if you want, you can add your city to let your employers know that you live near the company.
- Introduction: An introduction can be in the form of a resume objective or summary. It should consist of all your qualifications and professional background.
- Education: This section can include the name of your schools and your highest degrees, which can be major or minor. Additionally, you can add relevant coursework if it relates to your desired position or if you have no prior experience.
- Experience: In this section, you may add all your relevant experiences in the specific field. It should have the title, the organization you worked for, and how many years you worked there. You can make a list in bullet points to give an overview of all the responsibilities and accomplishments.
- Skills: In this section, add the skills only relevant to the position you are applying for. To illustrate that you are a well-rounded candidate, list a mixture of your hard and soft skills.
What Is a Resume Used For?
The sole purpose of your resume is to demonstrate to employers that you are a qualified candidate for the position. It convinces employers to consider you for the job and offer an interview. Many people who apply for jobs think a resume should include all their professional history. However, this is usually not the case.
A resume is meant to be an advertisement for yourself. It should only have the history of your profession, which is most relevant to the job you are applying for. It highlights your relevant skills, experience, accomplishments, and strengths. The employers will consider you for the position and offer more interviews if you can make your resume as clear as possible with the relevant details of your profession.
Elements of a Google Docs Resume Template
To make a good resume, you should pick a template that is visually appealing, simple to read, and enables you to write all required resume components. However, make sure that the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) can easily read the template you choose.
Employers use ATS software for storing, filing, and searching candidates’ resumes; it keeps them organized and helps find the best candidates for the job who meet the required qualifications. ATS software is advanced but not perfect. Any problem in the formatting can make it hard or even impossible for the software to read the resume accurately.
Make sure that you exclude any of these elements while formatting:
- Images. These include photos, graphics, graphs, logos, or other visuals or text.
- Text boxes
- Fonts. These should not be the less common ones.
- Columns. The ATS software is programmed to read from left to right. They do not read columns from top to bottom; they frequently read columns horizontally. Columns might be okay to use if they don’t alter the process of reading your resume.
How to Use Resume Templates for Google Docs
If you don’t wish to create your resume from scratch, there are a few resume outlines for Google Docs that you can use. Here is how to use Google Docs resume formats from the template gallery:
- Open Google Docs in your web browser and log into your Google account. This will take you to the main page of Docs.
- Here, click on the Template gallery button towards the top right part of the screen.
- Scroll down to find the Resumes section. Here, you will find a few templates you can use. Click on the template you wish to use, and it will be opened in the Google Docs editor screen. For this example, we are using the Modern writer resume template.
- The template will have placeholder text in the fields where you can add your data. Start by adding your name, email, phone number, and address in the fields toward the top.
- Next, start adding your skills, experience, and other relevant data.
- Once you’re done making the changes, you can download or print the resume. To download the curriculum vitae template for Google Docs, click File in the main top bar and Download in the dropdown menu. Here, select the format you wish to download the file in (usually PDF).
- You can also print the resume template Google Docs directly by clicking on File and then on Print.
If you want to download the file to print it, we suggest using the PDF Document (.pdf) format when downloading. This will lock the file from any further edits unless a specific software is used, making printing easier. However, if you want to allow edits to the resume, you can download it in Microsoft Word (.docx), which is widely supported by word processors like Docs and Microsoft Word. Although, you can also convert the PDF back to other file types later.
Best Google Doc Resume Template From Template Gallery
Google Docs already has several templates for quickly creating a resume. All the templates mentioned here are supported by ATS software.
This a great, simple-to-use and read template that uses color to give a clear direction of where all the elements are in the document. Most major categories like Skills, Experience, Education, and Awards are highlighted by a coral color. The start of the resume allows you to add contact details like the Address, Phone number, and Email.
However, there is one small problem that you can fix easily. Make sure to delete the “Hello” and “I’m” towards the top, as they often are detected by the ATS software. Then, you can simply add your name at the top of the resume.
Where the Coral template focuses more on making a general resume, the Spearmint template is better suited for people already working in a specific field. It features the contact details at the top and the major categories like Skills, Experience, Education, and Awards towards the bottom.
This CV template Google Docs is compatible with ATS software, so feel free to add the relevant details. When filling out this resume template, properly format the content in the Experience category using proper bullet points.
Modern Writer Resume
As the name implies, this Google Docs resume template looks modern. Colors are used to emphasize the names and locations rather than the field. Like the other templates, the contact information is towards the top, while the other fields fill up the rest of the page.
The skills are added to the top part of the page but feel free to change the order of the fields or entirely remove or add new ones depending on your requirements.
Tips for Using a Google Docs Resume Template
The Google Docs resume templates are more than just copy-pasting your information into the file. The template is simply a guide on what to add. Here are a few things you should do to make your resume your own:
- Enter the correct information: Make sure to review the entire resume content before you finalize it, as the templates have placeholder text that may accidentally be left within the fields. You can also share the file with a friend by clicking the blue share button in the top right for proofreading.
- Own your resume: Make necessary changes in the template, so it doesn’t look like another resume. Change the colors of the headings and use different fonts (but not super uncommon fonts). Resize the headings and add the proper formatting for bullet points. Here’s an example of an edited Swiss Resume from the library. You can increase or decrease the font to ensure the content fits into the page. You can remove the unneeded sections and add new ones relevant to the job you are applying for.
- Tailor the template: When you add your skills and experiences to the Google Docs resume template, ensure it is short and to the point. You don’t want to add too much information, as the reader will simply ignore it. However, adding less information means the reader won’t know anything about you. Proofread the template to remove spelling mistakes, which will help make your resume look more professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Google Docs Have Free Resume Templates?
Google Docs has free resume templates. You can use these in Google Docs by simply clicking on the Template Gallery button on the upper right of the main screen in Google Docs.
Is It Better to Create a Resume on Google Docs or Word?
Google Docs is the best way to make a resume using a template. However, the templates in Docs are very common, meaning they aren’t great to use if you wish to create a standout professional resume. Docs and Word have similar features, so there isn’t much difference when using one or the other for creating a resume.
What Is the Best Resume Format on Google Docs?
Google Docs offers several resume templates you can use to build your resume. The best ones are the Coral, Spearmint, and Modern Writer resume templates, which are readable by Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS).
How Do I Make My Resume Fit on One Page in Google Docs?
If the content in your template doesn’t fit the page, go to page setup by clicking on File and then on Page setup. Here, reduce the left and right margins to fit more content on the page. You can also make the font smaller and reduce white space around headings or line and paragraph spacing.
So that’s all you need to know about how to make a resume on Google Docs from an existing template. Even if you decide you want to build one “from scratch,” we’d recommend using one of the templates and changing the colors and fonts just to ensure you have full compatibility with ATS software.