Want to learn how to insert signatures in Google Docs? Gone are the days of printing, signing, and scanning documents. With Google Docs, you can easily add your signature to a document without ever having to leave your computer.
Whether you need to sign a contract, a letter, or any other type of document, inserting your signature in Google Docs is quick and easy.
In this guide, we’ll show you various ways how to insert signatures in Google Docs. Let’s get started and make your document-signing process a breeze!
How to Insert a Signature in Google Docs Using the Draw Feature
With the Drawing tool, you can add an e-signature to your Google Documents. The Drawing app is the inbuilt drawing and editing tool in Google Docs. It’s not as sophisticated as a professional drawing app, but it’ll do the job.
Here’s how to add a signature in Google Docs using the drawing tool:
- First, open the Google Doc file that has to be signed.
- Next, set the cursor to the line where you want your signature to show.
- Click on “Insert” in the top menu, then select “Drawing” and choose “New.” The Drawing tool from the app will appear in front of your Google Docs document.
- In the drawing window, click on the “Line” tool. From the drop-down menu, select “Scribble.”
- Use a mouse, stylus, trackpad, or touchscreen device to draw your signature. Once satisfied, click on “Save and Close.”
- After that, the image of your signature will be displayed in your document.
How to Edit Your Signature in Google Docs
If you need to edit your signature in Google Docs, you can do so using the following steps:
- Open the Google Docs document that contains your signature.
- Click on the signature to select it, then choose “Edit” from the drop-down menu.
- Make the desired changes to your signature in the Drawing tool. Then, click on “Save and Close” to save your changes.
That’s it! Your signature is now updated in your Google Document.
You can also edit other signature elements via the Advanced Settings option. All you have to do is click on the vertical three-dots button (…) in the drop-down and click “All image options.”
Upon clicking, the Image options sidebar will appear on the right, where you can edit the following:
- Size and Rotation
- Text Wrapping
How to Use Add-ons to Sign Your Google Docs
Another option for inserting your signature in Google Docs is to use add-ons which you can get on Google Workspace Marketplace. There are many add-ons available, like DocuSign and SignRequest.
DocuSign is a cloud-based electronic signature platform that allows individuals and businesses to sign, send, and manage documents digitally. You can use it in Google Docs by installing the DocuSign add-on from the Google Workspace Marketplace.
Here’s what you should do:
- First, open your Google Docs document. Then, click on “Extensions” in the top menu.
- Select “Add-ons” > “Get Add-ons” from the drop-down menu, and you will be directed to Google Workspace Marketplace.
- Search for DocuSign and click on the “Install” button.
- Follow the prompts to authorize DocuSign and grant it access to your Google account.
- Once DocuSign is installed, click on the “Add-ons” menu and select “Sign with DocuSign.”
- Follow the prompts to create a signature or use an existing one and add it to your document.
- Customize the placement and size of the signature as needed.
- Review the document and click “Send” to send the document to the intended recipient(s).
That’s it! You have successfully inserted a signature in your Google Docs document using DocuSign.
Note: The exact steps may vary depending on the version of DocuSign you use.
SignRequest provides an even more affordable option to add signatures to your Google Docs. This tool offers a free option that entitles you to sign up to ten documents per month. After that, their subscription levels begin at $7 per month.
To add a signature in Google Docs using SingRequest, here’s what you should do:
- First, click “Extensions.” Then, select “Add-ons” > “Get Add-ons” from the drop-down menu.
- Search for SignRequest and click on the “Install” button.
- Follow the prompts to authorize SignRequest and grant it access to your Google account.
After installing the SignRequest add-on, simply follow this navigation path: Extensions> Add-ons > SignRequest > Create SignRequest.
Then, you will be routed to the SignRequest platform. From there, you can add a signature, download your document, or forward it to another person for signing if needed.
How to Drag and Drop Your Signature Image into Google Docs
If you already have a signature saved, you can easily insert it into a document. Simply drag and drop your signature image into Google Docs, resize it (if necessary), and position it in the appropriate location.
To drag and drop your signature image into Google Docs, follow these steps:
- Open your Google Docs document.
- Click on the location in the document where you want to insert your signature image.
- Open the folder or location where your signature image is saved on your computer.
- Click and hold your left mouse button on the signature image.
- Drag the image over to Google Docs and release the mouse button once the cursor is in the desired location.
- The signature image should now be inserted into the document.
Note: If your signature image is not in a digital format, you need to scan it or take a photo of it. Then you need to save it as an image file on your computer before you can drag and drop it into Google Docs.
How to Insert a Signature in Google Docs Using Signable
Another method of adding your signature to your Google Doc is using e-signature apps or websites like Signable.
Signable is a cloud-based electronic signature software that allows businesses to send and sign documents digitally. It offers a range of features, such as document templates, customizable workflows, and audit trails, to streamline the signing process and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
You can use Signable in Google Docs by using the Signable Google Docs add-on. To do so, simply follow these steps:
- Open your Google Docs document and position the cursor where you want to insert your signature.
- Click “Extensions” > “Add-ons,” then select “Get Add-ons” from the drop-down menu.
- Search for “Signable” and click on the “Install” button. Then, follow the prompts to install it.
- Once Signable is installed, click on the “Extensions” menu again and select “Signable” > “Send with Signable” from the drop-down menu.
- Upon clicking, the Signable sidebar will appear on the right-hand side of the screen. Log in to your account or create a new one.
Which Method Should You Use?
The choice of method to insert a signature in Google Docs ultimately depends on your personal preference and the tools available. Here is a brief comparison of the three methods you mentioned:
- Google Draw: This method is useful if you want to draw your signature digitally. However, drawing a signature can be time-consuming and may not produce a signature that looks like your actual signature.
- Add-ons: Using an add-on like SignRequest or DocuSign can be a quick and efficient way to add a signature to your Google Docs document. These add-ons allow you to create a signature and insert it into your document directly from the add-on sidebar.
- Drag and Drop: If you already have a scanned image of your signature or a digital signature saved as an image file, you can simply drag and drop it into your Google Docs document. This method is quick and easy but requires that you have a saved image file of your signature.
If you need a custom signature or prefer drawing your signature digitally, Google Draw may be the best option. On the other hand, if you have a saved image file of your signature, drag and drop may be the most convenient method. And if you need additional features or options, an add-on may be the best choice. Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a method that is easy and convenient for you to produce a signature that is legible and authentic.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is There a Signature Font in Google Docs?
Yes. There are several handwritten styles and script fonts in Google Docs, which you can use for your signature. These fonts are designed to mimic the appearance of handwritten signatures and can be a quick and easy way to add a personal touch to your document.
What Font on Google Docs Looks Like a Signature?
There are several fonts available in Google Docs that look like a signature. Some popular options include:
Wrapping it Up
Inserting a signature in Google Docs is a simple process that can be done using various methods to help ensure that your documents are authentic and legally binding. Once you find the one that works best for you, adding a signature to your Google Docs will become second nature.
If you want to learn more about Google Workspace, check out these awesome Udemy G Suite courses today!