Have you ever wondered how to add page numbers in Google Docs? Google Docs is a popular word-processing tool especially popular with professionals and students. It has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to create, edit, and share documents online. Moreover, Google Docs offers a range of useful features, including the page numbering option.
As the name suggests, page numbering is a procedure of adding a sequence of numbers to each page of a document. The number itself is usually called a page number, but it is also referred to as a folio.
Page numbers are vital if a polished, consistent, and simple-to-read document is what you want. And through Google Docs, you can add page numbers to your documents either automatically or manually.
To add page numbers in Google Docs, simply go to the “Insert” menu, select “Page numbers,” choose the placement and format, and click “Apply.”
In this guide, we’ll discuss how to add page numbers in Google Docs on both desktop and mobile. We’ll also teach you how to delete or move a page number and how to add a page count.
Table of Contents
How to Add Page Numbers in Google Docs on Desktop
Page numbers allow the reader to quickly and easily find particular points of reference. They also provide a general sense of the size and scope of a document.
So how do you add page numbers in Google Docs? To get started, simply follow the steps outlined below:
- The first thing you need to do is to go to Google Docs and log into your account. If you’re already logged in, simply choose the document where you want to add page numbers.
- After that, click “Insert” on the menu bar at the top of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear, and from there, choose “Page numbers.”
- Here, you can pick whether you would like the page numbers to appear in the header or footer. You can also choose to put it at the top or bottom of the page.
- Then, select the page number format, such as whether you want the numbers to appear as “Page 1,” “1,” or “1 of 10.”
- After choosing the format and location, simply click the “Apply” button to include the page number in your document.
Following the five easy steps above, you can quickly insert page numbers in Google Docs, making it easier to track and organize them.
Note: If your Google Document is in a pageless format, page numbers won’t work.
How to Add Page Numbers in Google Docs on Mobile
The mobile version of Google Docs isn’t that different from the desktop version, as it contains the same features but in a different format. Despite that, the steps on how to insert a page number on Google Docs via a mobile device is a straightforward procedure.
Simply follow the steps below:
- First, open the Google Docs app on your mobile device. Log in to your account if you haven’t yet.
- Next, select the existing document where you wish to add page numbers.
- Once you have opened it, tap on the “Edit” button (pencil icon).
- Tap on the Plus (+) sign or the insert menu icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select the “Page number” option.
- Choose the location where you want the page numbers to appear and whether you want the first page to be skipped in the numbering.
- After choosing where to put the page number, you can now add the page numbers to your document.
That’s it! Your Google Documents on your mobile device will now have page numbers.
Note: The page number options for type and positioning are identical to those on the desktop despite there being little difference in the process on the mobile app.
How to Move a Page Number
Moving a page number in Google Docs is a simple process once you know how to do it. Here’s what you should do:
- Click the “Insert” menu on the top-left side of the page.
- Select “Page numbers” to choose the format and your desired location of where you want the page number.
- Just like that, the position of your document’s page number has changed from the top left to the bottom left.
- If you want to adjust the formatting of the page number, such as changing the font or size, you can do by selecting the page number and using the formatting options in the toolbar.
How to Delete Page Numbers in Google Docs
Deleting page numbers from a Google Document is simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the page number you want to delete to select it.
- Press the “Delete” or “Backspace” key on your keyboard to remove the page number.
- If you have multiple page numbers in your document and want to remove them all, you can follow steps 1 and 2 for each page number.
How to Add Page Count On Google Docs
Adding page counts to your Google Docs is very helpful and easy to do. With page count on Google Docs, you can easily keep track of your document length to ensure it fits the specified word limit.
Here’s what you should do:
- First, click “Insert” on the menu bar.
- Select “Page numbers” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Page count” to add a page counter to where your cursor is located. When new or deleted pages are added to the document, the page count is automatically updated.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Number All Pages Automatically in Google Docs?
Click “Insert” on the menu bar and select the “Page numbers” option. Next, choose where you want to place the page number, then decide the alignment type. Every page in your Google Document will be automatically numbered once you click “Apply.”
How Do I Start Page Numbers on Page 2 in Google Docs?
To start page numbers on page 2 in Google Docs, follow these steps:
- Click on the top of the first page where you want to start page numbering.
- Go to “Insert > Break > Page Break” (or Section Break if you want to have different numbering formats for different parts of the document).
- Click on the top of the second page where you want to start page numbering.
- Go to “Insert > Page numbers.”
- In the “Page Numbers” dialog box, select the option for “Page numbers” and choose the format and position of the page numbers.
- If you want to customize the numbering format, click on the “More options” button and choose the desired options.
- Click on “Apply” to add the page numbers to your document.
That’s it! Your document should now have page numbers starting on page 2.
How to Add a Page Number to a Header in Google Docs?
To add a Google Docs page number header, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Google Docs document in which you want to add a page number to the header.
- Click on “Insert” in the menu bar at the top of the screen and select “Page numbers.”
- Choose the position and format for your page numbers.
- If you want to customize the formatting of your page numbers, click on the “Format options.”
- Select the desired formatting options and then click “Apply.”
- The page numbers will now appear in your header.
To close the header and return to the main body of the document, press the ESC key.
And that’s how to add page numbers in Google Docs! Whether you want to start page numbers on a specific page or add them to a header, Google Docs provides easy-to-use tools to help you customize your page numbers. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can add page numbers to your document with ease and ensure that your pages are organized and easy to navigate.
If want to know more tricks and tips for using Google Docs, check out these Udemy video tutorials to learn more. These experts will guide you through the basics and advanced features of Google Docs. Start learning today and take your documents to the next level!
- Google Sheets Page Break Guide [How to Add, Remove & More]
- Easily Insert a Google Sheet Into Google Docs
- How to Check Word Count on Google Docs [Easy Guide]
- How To Change Margins In Google Docs [Easy Steps]
- How to Add Footnotes in Google Docs [Guide]
- How to Use Google Docs Offline [Step-by-Step Guide]
- How To Rearrange Pages In Google Docs (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Insert and Remove a Page Break in Google Docs