Are you tired of scrolling through pages and pages of text, trying to find that one important section you need? A table of contents is a simple solution to this problem, and creating one in Google Docs is quick and easy.
With a table of contents, you can provide an overview of the topics covered in your document and allow your readers to jump directly to the sections they are interested in.
To learn how to create a table of contents in Google Docs and take your document to the next level, keep reading.
Table of Contents
How to Make a Table of Contents in Google Docs on a Desktop
Making a table of contents in Google Docs on your desktop is pretty straightforward. To get started, simply follow the steps below:
- Open your Google Doc and click on the location where you want to insert the table of contents.
- If you want the table of contents on a new page, click “Insert” > “Break” > “Page Break.” If not, you can skip this step.
- On the top menu bar, click “Insert” and select “Table of Contents” from the dropdown menu.
- Here you have two options: “Plain Text” and “Links.” The “Plain Text” option will give you a simple text-based table of contents.
The “Links” option will give you a clickable (linked) table of contents that takes you directly to the section you want to view.
Note: You can customize the look of your table of contents by changing the font, size, and color to match your document’s theme.
How to Make a Table of Contents in Google Docs on Mobile Devices
Don’t have access to a desktop? No problem! You can create a table of contents in Google Docs just as easily on your mobile device or laptop. Here’s how:
- Open your Google Document on your mobile device.
- Tap on the location where you want to insert the table of contents.
- Tap “Insert” and select “Table of Contents.”
- Choose between the options “Plain Text” and “Links.”
- Open a document from your Google Docs app.
- In the bottom right corner, tap the “Edit” button (pencil icon)
- Tap where you want to insert your table of contents.
- Tap “Insert” (+ icon) at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap “Table of contents.”
- Pick the design for your table of contents. You can choose “With page numbers” or “With blue links.”
Unfortunately, you cannot insert a table of contents on Android.
How to Add a Section to the Table of Contents
Once you’ve created your table of contents, you may need to add new sections as you continue to work on your document. Follow these steps to add a section:
- On your Google Document, add a new heading to the section you want to include in the table of contents.
You can do this by selecting “Normal text” in the toolbar and then choosing a heading style, such as “Heading 1” or “Heading 2.”
- Go to the table of contents and click on it to update it. You should now see the new heading listed in the table of contents.
Google Docs will automatically update your table of contents whenever you add, delete, or move headings in your document. After updating your table of contents, verify that the new section was added correctly to ensure that your table of contents is accurate and up to date.
Aside from the table of contents, you can also insert a Google Sheet into Google Docs.
How to Update a Table of Contents
If you’ve made changes to your document, such as adding or deleting headings, you may need to update your table of contents to reflect those changes. Here’s how to do it:
- To get started, select the table of contents by clicking on it.
- Right-click (or control-click on a Mac) and select the “Update table of contents.”
- Once you update your table of contents, it will automatically reflect the changes you’ve made to your document.
It’s important to note that updating your table of contents only affects the table itself and does not change the headings in your document. If you make changes to the headings in your document, you’ll need to update the table of contents to reflect those changes.
Moreover, adding a table of contents on your Google Sheets has a different procedure than the one discussed above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Automatically Create a Table of Contents in Google Docs?
Yes, Google Docs has a built-in feature that generates a table of contents for you with just a few clicks. This is a lifesaver for those with limited time who cannot create one manually or simply want to avoid going through the trouble.
Here’s how to do it:
- In your document, go to where you want to insert the table of contents.
- Click the “Insert” tab.
- Select “Table of Contents” from the dropdown menu.
- Choose either the “Plain Text” or “Links” option for your table of contents.
How Do I Make a Table of Contents Clickable in Google Docs?
Making your table of contents clickable will take it to the next level, giving your readers added convenience, as they are directed to the relevant section in your document. This feature is handy for longer documents, where readers want to avoid endless scrolling to find what they’re looking for.
To make a table of content clickable in Google Docs, simply follow these steps:
- Create your table of contents using the method mentioned above.
- Highlight the table of contents.
- Click on the “Format” tab.
- Select “Hyperlink.”
- Choose where in your document you want to link to.
How Do You Make a Table of Contents in Google Docs with Page Numbers?
Having page numbers in your table of contents can be helpful, especially if you’re working on a longer document. It gives your readers a better idea of where each section is located and helps them to navigate the document more easily.
Here’s how to add page numbers to your table of contents in Google Docs:
- Create your table of contents using the method described above.
- Highlight the table of contents.
- Click on the “Format” tab.
- Select “Paragraph styles.”
- Choose “Heading 1” or the relevant heading style for your document.
- Check the “Include page number” box.
Is There a Table of Contents Template in Google Docs?
Google Docs has a wide variety of templates, including a table of contents template. This is an excellent option for those who want to save time and quickly get their table of contents up and running.
Here’s how to access the table of contents template in Google Docs:
- Go to Google Drive.
- Click the “New” button.
- Select “Google Docs.”
- Click “Template Gallery.”
- Search for “Table of Contents.”
- Choose the template that best fits your needs.
Creating a table of contents in Google Docs is straightforward. The useful tool can significantly enhance the organization and readability of a document.
Whether you are working on a lengthy report, an essay, or any document that requires a clear structure, a table of contents can help you quickly navigate and reference specific sections.
Using headings, styles, and the built-in table of contents tool in Google Docs, you can create a professional-looking table of contents in minutes.
If you want to learn more tips and tricks on using G Suite, check out these useful Google Docs and other G Suite courses.