Limiting the answers to an online form is appropriate when you want to ensure accurate survey results, meet a deadline, or when you want to close your survey. Here’s a quick guide on how to limit responses in Google Forms:
- Open your form.
- Go to “Settings” > “Responses.”
- Turn on the option for “Limit to 1 response.”
While this method works, we will also discuss other ways you can stop accepting responses altogether. We will also teach you how to make your Google form limit responses automatically.
Table of Contents
How To Limit Responses in Google Forms by Account
If your online form deals with important information like email addresses and phone numbers, limiting the responses per account would prevent double entries in your records. This keeps your data clean and avoids confusion.
By limiting users to one response per account, each of them would have to sign in first before answering your form. Here’s how:
- Launch your browser and go to forms.google.com.
- Open the specific online form where you want to limit the number of responses.
- Go to the “Settings” tab.
- Open the “Responses” drop-down.
- Toggle on the option for “Limit to 1 response.”
How To Make a Google Form Stop Accepting Responses
Have you already met the quota for your Google form? You can choose to restrict users from answering it further:
- Open your online form.
- Switch to the “Responses” tab.
- Toggle off the switch for “Accepting responses.”
If you want to leave a message for future respondents, add it under the “Message to respondents” field. This is optional. A default message will be displayed instead if you choose not to customize it (as illustrated below).
How To Set Google Form Response Limits Using formLimiter
You might also ask, “Can you limit responses on Google Forms automatically?” This question arises because automating the process can make it more convenient. While the platform itself doesn’t have a built-in feature for this, there is an add-on that you can use to accomplish it.
Configuring the formLimiter Add-on
formLimiter is a third-party extension that you can add to Google Forms. To use it, you may need to grant certain access permissions, which are generally harmless based on our first-hand experience.
Here’s how to add formLimiter to your Google Form:
- Open your Google Form.
- Click the vertical three-dot icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Select “Get add-ons” from the displayed drop-down menu.
- Type “formLimiter” in the search bar of the Google Workspace Marketplace panel.
- Choose the corresponding option from the search results (as shown below).
- Click the “Install” button and follow with the installation instructions.
Limiting the Number of Responses in Google Forms by Date and Time
Suppose you want to set some deadlines for your online form, especially when using it for a quiz or event registration. formLimiter allows you to do this by using date and time parameters. Here’s how to limit the number of responses in Google Forms based on a schedule:
- Once formLimiter is installed, click the add-on icon in the top-right portion of your screen.
- Select formLimiter from the drop-down menu displayed.
- Choose “Set limit” from the panel appearing for the add-on.
- A panel will appear on the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Under “Limit Type,” choose “date and time.”
- Configure the date and time settings under “Stop accepting responses” to specify when you want to limit the form.
- Optional: Under “Message when submissions are closed,” add a message for future respondents when the form closes.
- If you want to receive an email when the form stops accepting responses, tick the checkbox for “Email form owner when submissions are closed.”
- Once you’re finished, click “Save and enable.“
Setting a Google Forms Max Responses Number
If you want to control the capacity of your online form by setting a quota, you can use the corresponding option available in formLimiter. Here’s how to limit Google form responses based on a quota:
- Click the add-on icon again > formLimiter > “Set limit.”
- Select the “number of form responses” option under the “Limit Type” section.
- Indicate the maximum number of form answers you expect in the “when responses are greater than” field.
- Optional: You can leave a message for future respondents when the form closes.
- You can also toggle on the option for “Email form owner when submissions are closed.”
- Hit the “Save and enable” button once you’re done.
Canceling the Form Limits
You can always disable the restrictions you have set if you want to. The feature for this can also be found in the formLimiter’s menu.
Here’s how to disable the restrictions using formLimiter:
- Click the add-on icon, choose formLimiter, and click “Set limit.”
- Hit the “Disable” button to finish.
If you have already met your survey quota or want to limit users to one response only, you can always restrict further responses from entering your form. Just use our guides on how to limit responses in Google Forms in this article, and you should be all set.
Kickstart your work by checking out our premium templates today. Use the code “SSP” to get 50% off all templates.