Invoicing can take a long time to do, and software packages like Xero can cost a fortune over the life of your business. This is especially true if you just run a small freelance business or are a sole trader. But there is an answer. You can just use an invoice template for Google Docs to save time.
In this guide, we will show you how to make an invoice template in Google Docs from scratch as well as provide you with a few ready-made options to download.
Table of Contents
Elements of a Good Invoice Template
Here are some of the things you need to include in an invoice template:
- Company Name and Details: Adding your company’s name as a title in the invoice makes it easy for your clients to instantly know who the invoice is from. For sole traders, you can simply write your name. Depending on your location, you may be legally required to add your address and phone number on invoices.
- List of Products or Services: List all the items or services you have provided to the client and add the price, quantity, and total amount for each item.
- Add the Reciever’s Details: Add the name of the client or company to whom you send the invoice. You can also add the contact details like the address, phone number, and email.
- Total: Adding a section for the total amount in the invoice will save your clients time as they don’t have to calculate the total for all the products. You may also be required to add a section for the taxes besides the total amount.
- Payment Details: You should also add these details to ensure your client knows where to send the payment. You can add your bank’s name, branch id, and account number or your PayPal, Payoneer, or Stripe information.
How to Make an Invoice on Google Docs
Here is how to create an invoice template in Google Docs:
- Open Google Docs on your web browser and open a Blank document.
- The first thing you should do is select the proper page setup. To do this, click on File in the main toolbar and then click on Page setup. In the Pages tab, select the Paper size and set the Page color to white. Now, set all the Margins to 0.
- Now that the page layout is set, you can use tables to add the elements to the invoice template. To do this, click on Insert in the top bar and then click on Table. Here, you can select the table size using the grid in the popup menu.
- After the table is added, you can click and drag on the edges of the cells in the table to resize them. Fill out the cells with the text you wish to add here. You can use the text formatting options in the toolbar to change the text.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to add other sections in the invoice template.
- After you have added all the elements in the invoice template, you can hide the grid in the tables to give the template a clean look. To do this, click on any table to select it. Now, click on the Table options button in the main toolbar.
- Here, change the Table border to 0 pt in the Color section.
Alternatively, following our linked guide, you can create a Google Sheets Invoice Template for free.
Free Downloadable Invoice Templates for Google Docs
Freelance Invoice Template for Google Docs
Freelancers providing services to their clients often use invoices to request payments. Creating an invoice from scratch every time you send a bill to a client can be time-consuming. Instead, you can use a premade template like this and customize it according to your needs. This template is essentially divided into three distinct sections.
The first section shows the details of the person the invoice is sent to. When customizing the invoice, delete the lines and add the relevant information, like the invoice number, date, and billing information. Towards the right side, you can replace the circle icon with your company logo or simply delete it.
The second section in the freelance invoice template, Google Docs allows you to add the details of your services and their cost per hour, hours worked, and amount. The bottom of the section has a cell where you can write the total service bill. The last section allows you to add terms and notes towards the left side and your bank account details towards the right side.
Handling large projects as a freelancer can be tricky. One way to solve this is to use a project timeline. Here are 5 useful Google sheets project management templates you can use to do so.
Stylish Google Docs Invoice Template Free
If you’re looking for a bit of style, this template is perfect for you. Where the previous template focused more on individual freelancers, it is better suited for small companies providing services to their clients. The template is divided into four sections.
The first section allows you to add your company name and details, and the second section lets you add the details of the client as well as the bill invoice number and due date. The third section allows you to add the description of the items or services, the hours or quantity, and the rates. The fourth section will enable you to add additional notes and a total of all the items (including any additional tax) in the invoice.
As a business, tracking sales is essential. Here are some free Google sheets sales templates you can use to do so.
Basic Black Invoice Template Google Docs
The black invoice template is great for retailers, restaurants, freelancers, and contractors. The stylish black colors are sure to make this template stand out from the others, and this is great for sending over emails as the darker colors won’t cause eye strain for the reader. Like the other templates in this list, this template has three sections.
The first section has the billing details, and the second one allows you to add the details of the items, their quantity, and the total of the products. The last section allows you to add the details of your company, such as the address, email, and phone numbers. There, you can also add the payment information and any additional notes.
As a scaling company, profit and loss statements are among the most important documents you can make. Here are some free Google sheets profit and loss templates you can use in 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There an Invoice Template in Google Docs?
The default template gallery in Google Docs doesn’t offer an invoice template. However, you can use a third-party template or create your own.
How to Get an Invoice Template on Google Docs?
You can create a Google Docs invoice template from scratch using tables or a third-party prebuilt template to save some time. You can customize prebuilt templates to your liking and then simply add the invoice details.
We’ve provided everything you need to know about making an invoice template for Google Docs as well as some templates that you can tweak to your liking. If you found this guide useful, check out our related content below. If you’re after the best templates, check out our premium templates and make sure you use the code SSP to save 50%.
- Free Book Templates for Google Docs
- Free Business Card Templates for Google Docs
- How to Make a Flyer in Google Docs
- Free Ledger Templates in Google Sheets
- Download a Timeline Template for Google Docs
- Cover Letter Template for Google Docs
- How to Make a Kanban Board in the Google Suite
- Download a Free Google Sheets Itinerary Template
- How to Make a Bar Graph in Google Sheets
- Free Google Sheets Calendar Templates
- How to Create a Google Sheets Slicer
- Free Timeline Templates for Google Sheets