Double spacing is essential for those that need to have it for school or college papers. Luckily, learning how to double space in Google Docs is as simple as a few clicks. All you have to do is, highlight the text you want to double space, navigate to Format > Line and paragraph spacing, and click Double. Simple, right?
If you’d like a more detailed explanation or to learn how to set up double spacing as the default style, read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
How to Get Double Spacing on Google Docs on the Web
Here is how to add double spacing in Google Docs on a desktop:
- Open a document in Google Docs, or create a new one.
- If you wish to double-space text already in your document, select the part you wish to double-space in Google Docs.
- On the toolbar, click on the Line & paragraph spacing option. You can also do this by clicking on Format in the main header bar. There, click on the Line and paragraph spacing option. This will open a drop-down menu.
- Here, click on the Double option.
The text you selected or the empty document will now have the double-spacing feature. You can also add custom spacing by following the steps mentioned above but clicking on the Custom spacing option in the Line and paragraph spacing menu.
How to Double Space as Default on Google Docs Desktop
You can also make the double spacing feature the default. But, this feature is not available on iOS or Android devices, so you’ll have to do it on the desktop version.
The default double spaces in Google Docs feature on the desktop means anytime you open a new document, the normal 1.15 spacing feature will now be double-spaced.
Here is how to put double spacing on Google Docs by default:
- Select text that is already double-spaced (or double-space some text).
- Click on the Styles option from the toolbar, which is Normal text by default. This will open a drop-down menu.
- You will see an arrow on the right side of the Normal text option.
- Here, you will see two options: the first one will be the Apply ‘Normal text’ option, and the second one will be the Update ‘Normal text’ to match option.
- Click on the second option. This will update the Normal text style to be double-spaced by default.
- From the toolbar, choose the Normal text option. This will open a drop-down menu.
- Click on the Options option.
- Now click on the Save as my default styles option.
How to Double-Space in Docs on Mobile
You can double-space in the Google Docs mobile application if you have an iPhone or an Android. Here is how to double space in Docs on mobile:
- Click on the Pencil icon.
- Select the text that you wish to double-space.
- On an Android phone, click on a word and hold it, or double-tap it on an iPhone.
- After you have selected the word, you will see a small blue highlight. Drag it to select the text.
- Tap on the Format (It has four lines with a capital A on an Android and a capital A that is underlined on an iPhone).
- Tap on the Paragraph option.
- Tap on the Arrow option on the right side of the Line Spacing option pointing upwards until it reaches 2 or 2.00.
- Click anywhere in the document or click on the Format option to close the tools for formatting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is 2.00 Double Spaced on Google Docs?
Yes, 2.00 is double-spaced and available on Google Docs. Just click the line and paragraph spacing icon in the toolbar to change it.
What Is Double Spaces in Google Docs?
The line spacing in Google Sheets is measured using lines. As an example, when selected text has double-space styling, then one line of text will use up two lines. You can use line spacing to fit fewer or more lines per page.
Wrapping Up How to Double Space in Google Docs
By reading the above guide, you should now know how to double space in Google Docs and how to set double spacing as the default style. But, if you’re having any trouble, please let us know in the comments and we’ll help as soon as we can.
- How to Indent on Google Docs App [2 Minute Guide]
- Find and Replace in Google Docs (Fix Docs Faster)
- How to Bookmark in Google Docs
- How to Upload a Document to Google Docs
- Easily Insert a Google Sheet Into Google Docs [Guide]
- How to Add Fonts to Google Docs [Step-by-Step Guide]
- How to Hyperlink in Google Docs in 2 Seconds
- Google Docs Programming Languages: A Peek Behind the Curtain