PowerPoint and Google Slides are two of the market’s most popular presentation software programs. While PowerPoint is widely used because it’s available on most Windows desktops, laptops, and other products, Google Slides is cloud-based and shareable via Google Drive, making it a popular option due to its added convenience.
Another advantage of using Google Slides is that multiple users with access to the file can change, edit, and save the presentation. Therefore, making it a great collaborative tool among teams. Meanwhile, PowerPoint has several tools and functions you can’t find in Google Slides. One is PowerPoint Designer, a unique feature that uses a suggestion engine to generate automatic design suggestions for each slide.
However, wouldn’t it be great if you could take advantage of the best features of both presentation software? To do this, you must know how to convert PowerPoint to Google Slides. Keep reading to find out how.
Table of Contents
How to Convert PowerPoint to Google Slides: 3 Ways
Before you can start to convert PowerPoint to Google slides, you must first ensure that you have good internet connectivity. After all, Google Slides is an online platform that can only be accessed via the internet.
Remember that while converting the presentation file between these two formats is easy, some elements or presentation content might not convert correctly. Therefore, ensure the presentation is finished before uploading them to avoid editing them later.
Option 1: Upload and Convert Your PPT Presentation to Google Slides
Manually converting PowerPoint to Google Slides may take more time and effort.
But conversion isn’t necessary if you aim to store and share the PowerPoint presentation without editing it later. If you fall into this category, you can skip converting PowerPoint to PDF and proceed directly to the next step.
Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Save PowerPoint as PDF
- To get started, open the PowerPoint file on your device.
- Next, go to the “File” menu and select “Export.”
- Choose a “Create PDF/XPS Document.”
- Then, select “Create PDF/XPS” and follow the prompts to save the file to your computer.
Step 2: Upload the PDF file to Google Drive
- Log in to your Google Drive account.
- Next, click the “New” button.
- Select “File upload.”
- After that, choose the PDF file you just saved and upload it to your Google Drive.
Step 3: Open the PDF in Google Slides
- Right-click the PDF file and select “Open with.”
- Then, choose “Google Slides.”
Option 2: Import your PowerPoint Presentation to an Existing Google Slide Presentation
Another way to convert your PowerPoint presentation to Google Slides is to import the slides directly onto a Google Slides editor. This editing program allows users to modify the slide layout and contents in the presentation. This is beneficial if you want to integrate or combine various slides from different presentations.
To do this, simply follow the steps below:
Step 1: Create a New Presentation
- First, sign in to your Google account and head to Google Drive.
- Then, click “New” and open Google Slides.
- Next, create a “Blank (new) presentation.”
- If you want to open an existing presentation, you can also import it into Google Slides.
Step 2: Import the Slides
- Click on “File” and then “Import Slides.” You can import slides directly from your device or a presentation file in your Google Drive.
- After that, select the PowerPoint file you want to import.
- Choose to keep the original formatting of your PowerPoint presentation.
- You can also apply the theme of your existing Google Slides presentation.
Step 3: Import the PowerPoint Presentation
- Click on “Import Slides,” and it will add the presentation or slides to your existing Google Slides file.
- Next, add or edit text, images, and other elements using the built-in Google Slides tools.
This process is similar to inserting Google Sheets in Google Slides. To expand your Google Slides knowledge, click here to learn more.
Option 3: PowerPoint to Google Slides Online Conversion Tools
The final method to convert your PowerPoint presentation is to use an online conversion tool, such as SmallPDF, CloudConvert, and Zamzar. When deciding which tool is most appropriate, it is best to choose the tool that fits your needs and that you are more comfortable with using.
To use an online conversion tool, simply follow these steps:
Step 1: Upload Your PowerPoint Presentation
- To get started, upload your PowerPoint presentation to the website of your preferred conversion tool.
- Next, drag and drop the file or select it from your computer.
Step 2: Convert to Google Slides
- Click the “Convert Now” button to convert your PowerPoint presentation into a Google Slides format, like PPTX, ODP, and PPT.
- Wait for the program to finish converting. Depending on the file size, this may take a few seconds or minutes.
Step 3: Download the Converted File
- Click the “Download” button to download the file to your device.
- Some conversion tools may save the file directly to your Google Drive account.
Pros and Cons of Converting a PowerPoint to Google Slides
Converting a PowerPoint presentation to Google Slides has both advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, before converting your PowerPoint presentation, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Google Slides is free to use
- The platform is cloud-based, and it does not require any software installation
- You can check the timeline to see what previous changes have been made
- It’s easy to share for seamless collaboration
- You can access it on both Mac or PCs
- Google Slides has limited basic animations and transitions
- The templates aren’t as robust as those on PowerPoint
- There are fewer export options
- Some corporations and organizations don’t accept the format
Extra Tips for Converting PowerPoint to Google Slides
Now that we better understand PowerPoint and Google Slides, here are a few final tips to make your work easier while avoiding common issues when converting PowerPoint to Google Slides.
- Before converting, check the compatibility of your PowerPoint presentation’s fonts, images, and multimedia elements.
- Be aware of any compatibility issues between PowerPoint and Google Slides, as some features may not convert correctly.
- When converting, keep the original formatting of the PowerPoint presentation.
- If automatic conversion does not work well, convert the presentation manually by copying and pasting the contents into a new Google Slides presentation.
- After converting, update any charts and tables to match the Google Slides format.
- If you need to convert multiple PowerPoint presentations, use the Google Slides API to automate the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I convert a PowerPoint to Google Slides without losing the format?
To convert a PowerPoint to Google Slides without losing the format, check for compatibility to ensure the fonts, images, and multimedia elements work on both platforms.
Then, try converting the presentation manually by copying and pasting the contents into a new Google Slides presentation. Make any necessary adjustments to charts and tables and test the converted presentation to confirm everything looks and functions as expected.
How do I open a large PowerPoint in Google Slides?
To open a large PowerPoint presentation in Google Slides, compress the PowerPoint file by reducing the size of images, audio, and video files. Then, convert the PowerPoint to a Google Slides format:
- Use the “File” > “Save As” option
- Select “Google Slides.”
- Upload the converted file to Google Drive and open it in Google Slides.
Converting a PowerPoint presentation to Google Slides is a simple and straightforward process. With the step-by-step guide we provided, you can easily convert your presentations to a format that is compatible with Google Slides and make the most out of its features. Whether you are looking to share your presentation with others or simply access it from any device with an internet connection, the process of converting to Google Slides will make your life easier. You can also ensure that your presentations are accessible, easily editable, and ready to be presented at a moment’s notice.
If you want to master both platforms, These online courses on PowerPoint and GSuite are a good place to start.
- How To Do Hanging Indent on Google Slides
- How to Convert Google Slides to PowerPoint: 3 Easy Methods
- How to Convert PowerPoint to Google Slides [Step-by-Step]
- How to Add a GIF to Google Slides (Easy 2 Minute Guide)
- Google Slides vs PowerPoint: Which Program Is Better?
- How To Insert a PDF into Google Slides [3 Easy Ways]