With many businesses shifting their operations and transactions online, collecting signatures electronically has become a necessity. The process of collecting online signatures allows you to seal your deals more conveniently and effectively.
If you want to use Google Forms to collect signatures, do the following:
- Install the “Signature” add-on.
- Configure your signature settings within the extension.
- Using the add-on, generate a link to your form.
- Send the link to your respondents.
While this method works, there are alternative approaches you can try when collecting your Google Forms signatures. Follow along as we discuss these methods below.
Table of Contents
Can You Add a Signature to Google Forms?
Google Forms doesn’t have a built-in feature that lets you create a field where users can add their Google eSignatures. However, there are a few workarounds you can employ to achieve this functionality:
- Using the “Signature” add-on
- Asking for the respondent’s initials as their signature
- Uploading an image of the respondent’s handwritten signature
We’ll discuss these methods one by one in the following sections. If you want to learn about one of them right away, you can click any of the quick links above.
Method 1: Adding a Signature in Google Forms Using an Add-on
Based on our first-hand experience, Signature is one of the best add-ons you can use to insert a signature field in your form. It offers a free version with a limited number of Google eSignatures you can collect, but you can purchase additional signatures through the in-app purchase option.
Installing the Add-on
When installing the add-on, you may encounter a prompt asking for certain access permissions. These permissions are necessary to enable the extension’s services.
- To begin, visit forms.google.com and open the online form where you wish to collect signatures.
- Look for the vertical three-dot icon located in the top-right corner of your screen and click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear, and from there, select “Get add-ons” among the available options.
- Next, within the “Google Workspace Marketplace” panel, type “Signature” in the search bar. This will initiate a search for relevant add-ons.
- From the search results, choose the add-on named “Signature,” which is typically the first result displayed.
- Once you have selected the desired add-on, click the “Install” button and follow the instructions to proceed with the installation.
Configuring Your Signature Field
When using the add-on, there’s no need for you to manually create another field in your form. Instead, the add-on will automatically generate the field once it has been set up in the extension’s interface. It offers two modes for collecting Google Forms digital signatures:
- Single signature: If you opt for this mode, the form will automatically close once it has been signed.
- Multiple signatures: This mode lets you collect multiple signatures for your form until your set quota has been met or your credits are all used up.
Our tutorial below will demonstrate how to use the multiple-signature mode, but feel free to choose the single mode if that is more appropriate. Here’s how to add a signature to Google Forms using the extension:
- Access your Google form and click the “Add-ons” icon at the top.
- Select “Signature” from your list of extensions.
- Click “Start.”
- Click the “Login” button in the panel displayed for the add-on.
- Select the “Multiple Signatures” button.
- Optional: You can indicate the maximum number of signatures to collect in the provided textbox.
- Click the “Submit” button.
- When asked to start collecting signatures, click “Confirm.”
- Click the “Test link” button. (This will redirect you to a new tab displaying a preview of your form.)
- If your form functions correctly without any issues, click the “Get link” button and share the copied link with your respondents.
How To Add an Electronic Signature in Google Forms (Respondents’ Edition)
The add-on above does not create a form field that allows respondents to directly draw or write their signature. Instead, users need to follow these steps to add their electronic signature:
- Click on the “Show Signature page” located at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Draw the signature in the provided white space.
- Click the “Continue” button.
- Again, click the “Continue” button when asked to add another signature.
- In the “Review” panel, choose “Continue” once more.
- Click the “Copy” button to obtain a link that leads to the signature.
- After copying the link, click “Return to Form.”
- Paste the link you copied in the “Signature” field in the form.
- Complete all other questions or sections of the form.
- Finally, click “Submit.”
Method 2: Using Initials as a Signature in Google Forms
Though some might not prefer them, initials can also serve as a signature. It’s also much easier to set up in your form than a regular signature. Here’s how you can do it:
- Insert a new question on your Google form.
- In the “Question” field, enter the following statement (feel free to paraphrase this sentence as necessary.): “Please indicate your initials below as your signature.”
- Google Forms will automatically choose a question type for you depending on what you enter in the “Question” field.
- If step three wasn’t automated on your end, click the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of your question card (usually labeled as “Multiple choice” by default).
- Choose “Short answer” from the options displayed.
- Ensure that respondents answer this part of your form by toggling on the “Required” slider.
Given the informal nature of using initials as a signature, you can also consider using similar types of questions. For instance, a simple yes-or-no question can be used to indicate respondents’ agreement with the information or confirmation required on your digital form.
Method 3: Uploading a Photo of a Handwritten Signature
Another option is to require respondents to upload a photo of their signature in Google Forms. However, it’s important to note that this method may present issues related to image quality, as some uploaded images might be blurred or illegible.
Here’s how you can set it up:
- Open your Google form and add another question.
- In the “Question” field, enter the phrase “Upload an image of your signature.“
- Click the drop-down menu for the question types, then choose “File upload” from the list.
- Click “Continue” to create an upload folder in your Google Drive.
- To ensure that you can process the files that users will submit to your form, enable the “Allow only specific file types” slider.
- Check the box for “Image” to restrict file uploads to image formats.
- Keep the other settings as default for now. You can modify them later according to your needs.
- Enable the “Required” slider to make the question mandatory.
Reminders When Using Google Forms Digital Signatures
When compared to specialized e-signature software, remember that the digital signatures submitted through a Google form may not have any legal effect. The validity and enforceability of such signatures depend on the laws of your state or country, so make sure to always check them.
So, when is it appropriate to request online signatures through Google Forms? Well, you can use them for more casual scenarios. For example, you can use them for obtaining customer consent forms when recording their information, project approval forms, or receipt forms.
However, when dealing with legal documents, such as contracts and loan applications, it is advisable to use dedicated electronic signature software instead. These specialized tools provide enhanced security, compliance features, and a higher level of legal validity for important and legally binding documents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Type My Signature on a Google Form?
Initials can be considered a valid form of signature if they fulfill the same purpose on documents and forms. The legal enforceability of initials as a signature may vary depending on the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
It is crucial to understand and comply with the applicable laws in your area to ensure the validity and legality of such signatures.
Can You Add DocuSign to Google Forms?
No, you cannot directly add DocuSign to Google Forms. DocuSign is compatible with Google Docs, Drive, and Gmail but does not integrate directly with Google Forms.
If you need to utilize DocuSign for electronic signatures, you will need to use it within the supported Google platforms mentioned.
When conducting online transactions, you might have to collect the other party’s signature. The same need applies when creating petitions and approval forms. To easily collect your Google Forms signatures, just follow any of our methods above, and you’ll be good to go.
Have your documents and sheets quickly set up using our premium templates today. Use the code “SSP” to get them at 50% off.