In the past, countless students and professionals used Microsoft Word as their favored word-processing application. However, an increasing number of people are turning to free, internet-based services like Google Docs. This isn’t surprising, especially when you consider its range of collaborative features.
Although Microsoft Word is still widely used by individuals and businesses, integrating it with Google Docs is incredibly simple – and practically automatic. If you’re looking to convert Word to a Google Doc, keep reading for desktop and mobile tips.
Table of Contents
How to Convert Word to a Google Doc on a Desktop
To import your Word Docs — and convert all future uploads to Google Docs’ editor format — follow these steps:
- Open Google Docs on your PC or laptop.
- Navigate to the menu bar on the right-hand side and click on “Open file picker.”
- Click on “Upload” and then “Browse.”
- Locate and select the Word document that you want to upload to Google Docs. Double-click on it or simply click “Open”.
- Google Docs will now automatically convert your DOCX. to a Google Doc.
How to Convert Word to Google Docs on Your Smartphone
- Open the Drive app on your phone.
- Click on the “Plus (+)” icon from the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap “Upload” and open the Word document you want to upload from your phone’s file manager.
- Google Docs should automatically turn your Word document into an editable Google Doc.
Clear Word Formatting After Uploading to Google Docs
You may encounter unwanted formatting when uploading a Word doc to Google Docs. You can use the “Clear Formatting” option in Google Docs to remove such formatting.
Select the desired text or the entire document that you want to remove formatting from. Next, scroll to the “Format” menu and select “Clear formatting.”
Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl + ” on a Windows device or “Command + ” on a macOS device.
Automatically Formatting Word Documents for Google Docs
If you frequently upload Word documents to GDrive, enabling an automatic feature to convert Word files to Google Docs formatting can save you time and effort. You’ll be able to access and edit these files directly in your web browser — without downloading or opening them in a separate software program.
- Open Google Drive in your browser.
- Navigate to “Settings” from the top-right corner of your screen.
- Under the “Convert uploads” section, check the box next to “Convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format.”
And done! It’s that simple to convert Word to a Google Doc without losing formatting!
Note: You can always turn this feature off from Google Drive settings if you want your future uploads to remain in their original formats.
Extra Resources to Increase Productivity
Google Sheets is an excellent tool to keep a record or work with data. At some point, you might want to present data in a more professional, documented format. Consider learning:
Google Docs is an incredibly easy and helpful tool. Not only is it compatible with Microsoft Word, but it’s also free to use. GDocs is also a great choice for teams that want to collaborate on a document in real-time. Not you can convert Word to a Google Doc by following the simple steps outlined above!
If you’re switching over to products like Google Docs and Sheets, why not take advantage of Udemy’s GSuite courses? They’re designed to enhance productivity and take your career to the next level!