Tired of repeatedly sending multiple emails when collaborating on a Google Doc? Use the commenting feature of the platform!
How to add a comment in Google Docs: Simply highlight your text and press Ctrl + Alt + M on your Windows keyboard (or Command + Option + M for Mac). Type whatever you want to say and hit the “Comment” button.
Learn more about adding, replying, editing, and linking to comments below.
Table of Contents
How To Add a Comment in Google Docs Easily
A commenter on Google Docs has permission to access a Google document. If you’ve been added as a commenter, you can make suggestions and comments on shared files but cannot share or edit them yourself.
To add comments in Google Docs:
- Go to Google Docs and open the document you want to comment on.
- Highlight a part of your text, then click the “Add comment” button. You can do so by:
- Click the “Comment” icon (in the top toolbar next to the Insert link icon).
- Right-clicking and selecting “Comment” from the context menu displayed.
- You can also find it directly next to the highlighted text (denoted by a message bubble box with a plus sign).
- You can also press Control + Alt + M on your Windows keyboard (or Command + Option + M for Mac).
- Type your thoughts in the “Comment or add others with @” textbox.
- Click on “Comment” to finish.
Adding Action Items to Google Docs
An action item is a special type of comment used in Google Docs. When collaborating with multiple people, it’s best used to assign certain document parts to other users.
Here’s how to assign a comment to someone in Google Docs:
- On your Google Docs document, highlight the text you want to assign to other users.
- Click on the “Add comment” option on the toolbar.
- Type the “@” symbol, followed by the email address of your assignee.
- Toggle on the “Assign to [email]” checkbox.
- Click on the “Assign” button to finish.
Your assignee will receive an email notification about the action item you’ve just made. They will also be responsible for marking the task as complete.
Related: If you’re using Google Sheets, check out our easy guide on Assigning a Task in Google Sheets.
Replying to Comments in Google Docs
You can find all existing comments on the right side of your document. To reply, click on the comment and indicate your message in the “Reply or add others with @” field. Then confirm it by clicking on the “Reply” button.
Editing, Deleting, and Linking to Comments in Google Docs
Google Docs also provides the ability to manage comments within your document. For example, you can edit comments if you think some words are misspelled. Or, if you want to redirect a person to a specific comment, you can also try linking to it. Here’s how:
- Go to the comment you want to use, then click the vertical three-dot icon (⋮) in its upper-right corner.
- To modify the comment,
- Click on “Edit” and make your changes.
- Hit the “Save” button to finish.
- To remove the comment,
- Select “Delete” from the list of options.
- Click on the “Delete” button when asked to confirm.
- To copy a link that directs to the comment,
- Pick “Get link to this comment” from the available choices.
- Send the link (which is now copied to your clipboard) to your intended recipients.
How To See Old Comments on Google Docs
If you have already resolved the comments on your document, you’ll no longer see them from the main interface of Google Docs. However, they get saved in the comment history, which you can access by following the steps below:
- Click on the message icon in your screen’s upper-right corner (grouped with the “Share” button in Google Docs).
- Alternatively, choose “Accessibility” > “Comments” > “Open comment history.”
Pro Tip: You can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + A on Windows to see old comments on your document. For macOS-based computers, use Command + Option + Shift + A instead.
How To Make a Comment on the Google Docs Mobile App
Need to proofread something while traveling outside? You can add your comments to various documents using the Google Docs app. Here’s how:
- Launch the Google Docs mobile app on your phone, then open your file.
- Highlight the text you want to comment on.
- Tap the “plus” button at the top of your screen.
- Select “Comment” from the menu.
- Type what you want to say in the “Add a new comment” field.
- Hit the “Send” button to finish.
The steps above should apply to Android, iPhone, or iPad. There might be some differences in the names of the buttons. For example, the send button on the Android version might be displayed as a check mark on iOS.
Now that you know how to add a comment in Google Docs, you can easily and quickly communicate with others through your shared documents.
Want an easier time doing your documents and sheets? Check out our premium templates today! Don’t forget to use the code “SSP” to get them 50% OFF!