You may find yourself struggling to get the perfect chart for a presentation or simply need to be able to visualize the data more effectively yourself. In either case, you may be asking yourself, “Can Google Sheets chart multiple ranges of data?” The short answer is yes.
This guide will go through exactly how to do it step by step. Follow along to learn in as little as a few minutes.
How to Put Two Sets of Data on One Graph in Google Sheets
Preparing the Data
The first step to creating a chart with multiple data series in Google Sheets is to ensure your data is formatted properly.
To make a chart in Google Sheets with multiple ranges, we start with the headers for the columns for the x-axis and the data sets.
In this demonstration, we are going to add three data sets. These labels are used when creating the graph.
In this example, the Week label is used for the X-axis, while the other three columns for team sales represent the values for the Y-axis, which will be plotted on the graph.
Now, add the data under the headers. This will be a fairly simple process if the Y-axis values need to be plotted against the same X-axis values.
If you want Google Sheets to chart multiple ranges of data with independent X-axis values for the data sets, you will have to enter the values for the first data set, followed by the values of the second one, and so on.
Adding the Graph
Now that we have our values properly organized and labeled, let’s look at how we can add the graph to the spreadsheet.
- Select the data in the sheet. This will be outlined by the blue border around the data. Make sure to add the labels in the selection; otherwise, the data won’t be properly formatted.
- Click on Insert in the top bar of the spreadsheet and then click on Chart in the dropdown menu. This will instantly add a chart to the middle of the screen.
- Most of the time, Sheets is very intelligent in handling the data and adding appropriate charts. However, if you want to change the chart type, click under the Chart type option.
- There you can select the type of chart you wish to add.
For this example, we added a line chart to our spreadsheet. Three lines represent each team, showing the trends in the sales made by each team over a period of ten weeks.
Customizing the Graph
Now that we have the desired chart let’s look at how we can customize the chart to make it our own. Here are the steps you need to follow to do this:
- Click on your chart and then click on the three dots towards the top-right corner of the screen.
- There, select Edit chart. This will open the chart editor on the right side of the screen.
- Click on the Customize tab at the top of the chart editor. This will take you to a new section that will allow you to customize the various aspects of the chart.
- The first thing to do is to assign a title to your chart. You can do this by going to the Chart & axis titles and assigning them under the Title text.
In this section, you can also change the color and thickness of the lines, the positioning, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Chart Multiple Ranges of Data in a Google Sheet?
Yes, if you arrange your data appropriately in the first place, the process is easy.
How Do I Create a Chart With Two Data Ranges in Google Sheets?
Doing this requires you to have three columns in the data set. The first column defines the values for the X-axis. The second and third columns contain the data to be inserted into the graph. The values in these two columns will also determine the largest and smallest ones on the Y-axis. Once the data is added, click on Insert and then on Chart, and Google Sheets will insert the data and create an appropriate chart.
How Do You Add Multiple Ranges in Google Sheets?
If you have an existing table, add another column beside the dataset being used in the table. Then go to Setup in the chart editor and change the cell address in the Data range section to reflect your changes. You could also use named ranges. The chart will update automatically.
How Do I Graph 3 Variables in Google Sheets?
Adding a graph with three variables requires you to create four columns in your dataset. The first column will have the values for the Y-axis, while the other three columns will have the values which need to be plotted in the chart. Once the data has been added, select it and click on Insert. There click on Charts to add the chart to your spreadsheet.
How Do You Make a Bar Graph With Two Sets of Data in Google Sheets?
Doing this requires you to have three columns in the data set. The first column defines the values for the X-axis. The second and third columns contain the data to be inserted into the graph. The values in these two columns will also determine the largest and smallest ones on the Y-axis. Once the data is added, click on Insert and then on Charts, and Google Sheets will insert the data and create a chart. In the chart editor, click on Chart type and Column chart.
Can Google Sheets Chart Multiple Ranges of Data While Skipping Rows?
If you want to skip rows in your chart, you can simply hide the rows when creating the chart. Hidden rows are automatically excluded unless you change the chart settings.
Now you know that Google Sheets can chart multiple ranges of data, you can experiment until it becomes easy for you. Just be careful as it may not work with some types of custom charts like a Pareto chart.
- Google Sheets Reverse Order: Flip Data in Google Sheets
- An Autofill Google Sheets Guide: Fill Down Data
- How to Make a Funnel Chart in Google Sheets [2 Easy Solutions]
- How to Make a Dot Plot in Google Sheets [Step-by-Step]
- Can Google Sheets Track Changes? Yes! Here’s How
- How to Do a T-Test in Google Sheets