Whether you are working on a report, thesis, or any other writing project, learning how to change margins in Google Docs to produce a more professional-looking copy is important. In addition, setting the right margins can improve your page’s layout and enhance its visual appeal.
To learn how to change margins in Google Docs, click on “File” > “Page setup” > “Margins” tab > enter your desired margin values > click “OK.”
In this guide, we’ll go through the simple steps of how to change margins in Google Docs, so you can customize your document’s layout to suit your specific needs.
How To Change Margins In Google Docs on Desktop
Although Google Docs already has default margin settings, there are instances where you may need to adjust the borders depending on how you want your document to look.
Let’s look at how you can change margins in Google Docs.
Method 1: Using the Page Setup Option
Using the Page Setup menu is the more precise way to set margins, as you can enter specific margin measurements.
To change margins using the page setup option, simply follow the steps:
- Open the Google Docs document that you want to change the margins for.
- Click on the “File” menu at the top left corner of the page.
- Next, click on “Page setup” from the drop-down menu.
- Upon clicking, the “Page setup” dialog box will appear. Here you can see the options for setting the margin, orientation, and paper sizes.
- Enter your desired margin values in the “Top,” “Bottom,” “Left,” and “Right” fields.
- After you have made your desired changes, click on the “OK” button at the bottom right corner of the dialog box. Your margins should now be updated based on the changes you have made.
NOTE: If you want to set the margin size as the default for all future documents, click “Set as default” at the bottom left corner of the dialog box. From then on, all new documents you create in Google Docs will automatically set your customized margin size as the default.
However, it’s important to note that this setting will only apply to documents created from your account and not to documents shared with you by others. If you want to adjust the margins of an existing document, you can do so using the steps outlined above.
Method 2: Using the Ruler
You can also change margins in Google Docs using the ruler at the top of the document. This method is useful for making small adjustments or fine-tuning the margins. In addition, it’s more flexible and allows you to see the changes to the document’s layout in real time.
Here’s how you do it:
- Open your Google Docs document.
- Click on the “View” menu at the top of the screen.
- If the ruler is not already displayed, select “Show ruler.”
- Place your cursor on the margin marker on the ruler that you want to adjust. The blue triangles on the top ruler indicate the top, bottom, left, and right margins.
- Click and drag the margin marker to the desired location. As you drag the margin marker, the margin values will update in the ruler.
- Release the mouse button when you have set the margin to the desired value.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for each margin that you want to adjust.
- When you have finished adjusting the margins, click on the “View” menu and select the “Hide ruler” button to hide the ruler.
Your document will now have the updated margins you specified using the ruler.
Method 3: Using Page Orientation
Changing the page orientation from portrait to landscape or vice versa may affect your Google Document margin. In such cases, you can adjust the margins while also changing the overall layout of the document.
To change margins in Google Docs using Page Orientation, simply follow these steps:
- First, open the Google Docs document you want to modify.
- Click on the “File” menu at the top left corner of the screen.
- Select “Page Setup” from the drop-down menu.
- Upon clicking, the “Page Setup” dialog box will appear.
- Under the “Orientation” section. If you want to increase the width of your document, select “Landscape,” whereas if you want to increase the height of your document, select “Portrait.”
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes.
- If you want to adjust the margins further, you can return to the “Page Setup” dialog box and change the margin values in the “Margins” tab.
Method 4: Using a Template
Using a template can save you time when setting up your margins because the margin values have already been pre-defined for you. You can choose a template that best fits your needs and then adjust the margins as necessary.
Here’s how you do it:
- Open Google Docs and click on “Template Gallery” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Browse the template options until you find one that suits your needs, and click on it.
- The template will open in a new tab. Click on the “File” menu at the top left corner of the screen and select “Page Setup” from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Page Setup” dialog box, you’ll see that the margins have already been set according to the template you selected. You can change the margin values in the “Margins” tab if you want to make additional adjustments.
- Click on the “OK” button to confirm and save your changes.
- If you want to save your document with the new margins, go to the “File” menu and select “Make a copy.” This will create a new copy of the document with your changes.
And that’s it! Regardless of your chosen method, adjusting margins can help you create documents that are easier to read, more visually appealing, and better suited to your needs.
How To Change Margins In Google Docs on Mobile
While you may use your computer the majority of the time to edit your documents, there may be instances when you need to quickly make changes via your mobile phone. So, here’s how to change margins in Google Docs using Android and iOS devices, so you can format your documents more easily and efficiently while on the go.
How To Change Margins in Google Docs on iPhone
To change margins in Google Docs on an iPhone, simply follow these steps:
- Launch the Google Docs app
- Open the document you want to edit.
- Tap on the “Edit” button at the bottom right corner of the document.
- Tap on the “…” (three-dots icon) located at the top right of the screen to access the formatting options.
- Then, tap on “Page setup.”
- Select “Margins.”
- Choose the margin measurements you want to use for your document, then tap “Apply.” Your margins should now be updated based on the changes you have made.
How To Change Margins in Google Docs on Android
To change margins in Google Docs using an Android device, here’s what you should do:
- Open the Google Docs app on your Android device and open the document you want to edit.
- Tap on the “Edit” button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the “…” (three-dots icon) located at the top-right of the screen to access the formatting options.
- Select “Page setup” from the drop-down menu.
- A “Page setup” dialog box will appear, displaying the options to set the orientation, paper size, and page color.
- Tap “Orientation” and select either “Landscape” or “Portrait.”
- Select the paper size you want to use (letter, tabloid, legal, statement, A4, and so on).
- You can also choose a different page color.
- Once done, go back to your document and tap the “Check” symbol on the top-left corner of the screen.
Changing margins in Google Docs is a simple process that can be accomplished in a few easy steps. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily change the margins in your Google Document and create a more polished and professional-looking final product.
Want to learn more about the various features and functions of Google Suite? Take a look at these awesome G Suite courses today.